- COVID-19 statusUnder the current conditions all my usual classes are on hold, however I am trying video sessions via Zoom for small groups of existing clients. Get in touch if that is of interest.
I am a Stott-trained Pilates Instructor offering group and private Pilates matwork classes in Faringdon (Oxfordshire) and the surrounding area (for example Northmoor, Wantage and Lechlade in Gloucestershire). For details of local classes and how to book, see my page on the types of class. I trained at the Active Pilates Studio in Kidlington, and am committed to teaching safe, effective Pilates to a high standard.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is a low-impact exercise method that uses controlled, precise exercises to develop flexibility, endurance and strength without adding bulk. The main emphasis involves working to regain optimal posture, especially of the spine, and learning to use the body’s stabilizing muscles to promote correct body use in both sport and day to day activities. The benefits of regular Pilates practice include:
- Improved posture and increased core strength and stability
- Better balance, coordination and body awareness
- Rebalancing of muscles around the joints, which can help reduce aches and pains
- Promotes optimal balance between strength and flexibility
- Improved performance and reduced injury risk in a wide range of sports
- Increased self-confidence from having a better-toned body, and longer, leaner muscles
The Stott Pilates Method
Stott Pilates was developed by a former professional dancer, Moira Merrithew. With the help of sports medicine professionals and working with current anatomical and biomechanical knowledge, the original exercise repertoire of Joseph Pilates has been brought up-to-date, incorporating contemporary ideas about spinal rehabilitation and performance enhancement. The Stott Method is designed to restore the natural curves of the spine, and places increased emphasis on stabilizing the shoulder blades. The resulting exercises can be modified in order to cater for a wide range of abilities, ensuring they are safe and effective for everyone.